Indifference is a mistake
With every election cycle that we go through, the feeling inevitably grows that it doesn’t matter anyway who will be elected, nothing will change and it will be “boom tarat tarat” as usual. The politicos will continue to wallow in billions in pork barrel and discretionary funds, continue to bless their favored groups with overpriced contracts, and continue to saddle us the people with too high a tax burden and too much regulatory nonsense. It is not surprising therefore why my generation generally expresses indifferent attitudes about the upcoming elections.
Remarkably, however, I find many young people expressing this same ‘I couldn’t care less’ sentiment and it is hard to understand why. Youth, after all, is a time when one is supposed to be full of confidence that anything is possible and one’s dreams are imbued with idealism and hope. That those who are voting possibly for only the second or third time in their lives feel indifference could of course only be testimony to the fact that this campaign has been supremely dull. It might also disturbingly indicate, however, that the young have, this early, already begun to feel that elections in particular and politics in general have no relevance to their personal lives and no connection whatsoever to their aspirations.
"..a country run like hell by Filipinos to a country run like heaven by Americans. Because, however bad a Filipino government might be, we can always change it."
and i say, WE MUST CHANGE IT
now, more than ever before, we must lay the foundations of an open society
IN THESE LATTER DAYS, it would be safe to say that it is Better to have my country torn by strife and revolt against its unjust oppressors than to have "prosperity" and "peace" with Tyranny and Corruption.
You cannot make peace with Evil, in the same way we cannot make war against the Good. But it has been the policy of this government to make war against all virtuous and principled men and womenby spreading lies, by subterfuge and manipulation, by threats of violence and even intimidation at the courts of law, and by these means they put up a facade of morality and righteousness. But who are they fooling with this veneer of rectitude?
For this coming election, it has been the slogan OF the Administration "Unity for Progress" to cajole the citizens into voting their candidates. I say we Unite with the Good and Proclaim the Truth, make war with Corruption and Tyranny and expose every Lie. There can be no real Progress while Corruption reigns supreme. There can be no basis for Unity until the People has come to know all that is Good and True.
From the lowest clerks to the highest office, we know Corruption is what leads to Tyranny and Injustice in this land, and it is also the cause of worsening Poverty and the vicious cycle of Violence we witness today. On COMELEC's own record we have the highest number of election-related violence today since democracy was restored. This is sign of desperation for the Corrupt leaders willing to do everything they can to hold on to power. And we must fail them. The perpetrators of this lawless violence are not common criminals, masterminds of most of them are also in power, and have this high disregard of the law because they know the law is on their side. Nakasandal sila sa poder, este, sa pader, kay Gloria.
I say down with the Administration's ticket and vote for the best alternative instead. Not because averyone in the Administration's side is Evil, NO. Individual candidates endorsed by the Administration may have good intentions and a sincere heart, BUT all that comes to nothing when they succumb to the Administration's will and their voices are drowned by the thunders of Corrupt Despotism. As a favor to this few good men and women who find themselves under the banner of the Administration, we should save them from compromising their principles for the Administration's will. Let us vote for the people who can openly defy the machinations of those in power and unseat the illegitimate and corrupt ledership now controlling our vital institutions.
People not to vote for Senator : (definitely)
- Prospero "Butch" A. Pichay, Jr. - (KAMPI) bago pa kumandidato nakabawi na sa mga ginastos niya, incumbent Representative of Surigao del Sur (1998-2001; 2001-2004; 2004-2007), bulok na PICHAY, itapon sa Kangkungan
- Michael "Mike" Defensor - (Lakas-CMD) former Presidential Chief of Staff (2006-2007), former Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources (2001-2006), former Head of National Housing Authority (2001), favorite PET ni Gloria
- Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri - (Lakas-CMD), incumbent Representative (1998-2001; 2001-2004; 2004-2007) from the province of Bukidnon , author of the recently-approved Biofuels Act of 2006, otherwise, stampad rin ng Adminitrasyon
- Edgardo "Ed" J. Angara - (LDP), author of FPJ's demise (that poor actor), comparable to Saruman in the LOTR mythology, incumbent Senator (1987-1992; 1992-1998; 2001-2007), former Executive Secretary, former Secretary of Agriculture, former President of University of the Philippines, current Chairman of Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino,
- Joker "People's Dragon" P. Arroyo - (KAMPI), DRAGON kay ERAP, pero tuta, este KAMPI ni Gloria, incumbent Senator (2001-2007), former Representative (1992-1995; 1995-1998; 1998-2001) of Makati City, former Executive Secretary (1986-1987), former prosecutor of the impeachment trial of Pres. Joseph Estrada.
- Luis "Chavit" C. Singson - (Lakas-CMD) incumbent Governor of Ilocos Sur, Chairman of League of Provinces, lead witness of the impeachment trial of Pres. Joseph Estrada. Merciless killer, and slanderer, participated in the alarming farce in front of the Manila City hall
- Vicente "Tito" Sotto III - (NPC), former Senator (1992-1998;1998-2004), actor, TV host and campaign manager of the former presidential candidate, the late Fernando Poe Jr. and the brother of the actor Vic Sotto
- Teresa "Tessie" "TAO" Aquino-Oreta - (NPC), former dancing queen, repented
former Senator (1998-2004), former Representative (1987-1992; 1992-1995; 1995-1998) and sister of Benigno Aquino Jr.
- Vicente "Vic" "Your Guy" P. Magsaysay - (Lakas-CMD) incumbent Governor of Zambales and former 1992 vice-presidential candidate, SINO 'to, basta Magsaysay
- Jamalul Kiram III - (PDSP) Sultanate of Sulu (1986-Present) di ba matagal nang walang sultan ng Sulu? The Sultan of Sulu was an office recognized by the government in Manila only until 1936.
- Cesar "Buboy" Montano[a] - (Lakas-CMD) industrial engineering graduate from Lyceum, award-winning movie and TV actor and director, and UNESCO commissioner, maprinsipyong tao, magaling na artista, kawawa naman to pag nalagay sa senado
browse http://www.inquirer.net/specialfeatures/eleksyon2007/profiles.php for alternatives, HA!
at dapat gwardyahan ang boto, pahirapan natin ang mandadaya:
If democracy, according to Vaclav Havel, is the unfinished story of human aspirations, let us continue the journey in the coming elections by helping restore the trustworthiness of the election process, and on the strength of that foundation, move on to other institutions. Each of us must put down his piece in this giant jigsaw puzzle called nation-building, for only then can we say that we are truly deserving of this blessed nation.